Friday, January 27, 2012

Can frozen blooms from daffodils, hyacinths, etc. b cut&thawed 4bouquets?

My poor plants were loaded with blooms (after 5 years they were looking their best ever!!) when the deepfreeze hit! The blooms are frozen solid-I picked one andbrought it into the house to see if it could "thaw out" and be used in a vase. The blossom and lower stem thawed out beautifully but the upper stem turned to mush and could not support the bloom. Since I have about 100 more blooms out there that are otherwise ruined ( from a landscaping perspective) I thought at least I could enjoy them inside if I could thaw them out correctly. Please help! (Thanks for all the answers to my first question! I'm new at this and wasn't specific enough though, as I know the plants will survive but I didn't know how to handle all the beautiful flowers that had just opened up two days ago! Didn't know if there was any way they could be left on plant and be okay or if once frozen they are "goners".) If they can be successfully thawed out I could at least enjoy the blooms inside!!

Can frozen blooms from daffodils, hyacinths, etc. b cut%26amp;thawed 4bouquets?
I just bought my first house and was pleasantly surprised to find a daffodil bed blooming in March. Now it is snowing and I was wondering the same thing. Actually, I was kind of hoping they'll survive after this week (with temperature lows in the teens). I found an article that states daffodils are 'cold hardy' and they may stand up again unless the stems are severely bent. Based on the local weather, though, the article says that many flowers could be ruined. Good luck; hope you can enjoy them inside! I'm going to hold out here and hope they stand up again (though it's doubtful as this is more than a morning frost).
Reply:you can try, but I kinda doubt it.. depends on how hard they froze.



Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment