Monday, January 30, 2012

Why don't deer eat daffodils?

The claim is that they stay away from Daffy's cuz they're mildly poisonous and taste nasty.



But I used to live in New Jersey where you couldn't look in any direction without seeing a deer. IF they get hungry enough, they'll eat them.

Why don't deer eat daffodils?
Just a matter of taste I guess. It is for the same reason that we don't eat certain foods...we don't like them. There are many plants that deer will ignore and others, like trillium, that they will wipe out. There are many lists of deer resistant plants but I still think it is a matter of taste. Many of these plants are yellow but this is not the rule written in stone. I have hundreds of daffodils planted at the edge of the woods and not one has ever been eaten by deer.
Reply:I have no idea, but I wish they did.


No comments:

Post a Comment