Monday, January 30, 2012

Groundcovers and bulbs?

This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm really "green" when it comes to gardening.

I would like to plant groundcovers in the bald spots in my flower beds, but I know that there are spring bulbs like daffodils, crocuses and snowdrop bulbs in the earth there. If I plant a groundcover there, will the bulbs be able to poke out in the spring ? Or will they get stifled ?

Maybe this depends upon the exact kind of groundcover I use...

if so, then please tell me what I should chose.

I was thinking of Snow-in-summer

Thanks in advance !

Groundcovers and bulbs?
You should be just fine. You can even layer bulbs and they still find a way to emerge even when there is a bulb on top of them. Ground cover like Vinca is very shallow rooted and would not interfere in your bulbs emerging at all. However, Vinca is invasive and will eventually end up where you don't want it and will become a nuisance. Choose your ground cover carefully.

Good luck
Reply:Don't worry. I've got bulbs coming up through Vinca %26amp; English Ivy.


No comments:

Post a Comment