Monday, February 13, 2012

Another metaphor question??

Can someone find the metaphors in the poem called "I wandered Lonely as a Cloud"??



I wandered as lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.



Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.



The waves beside them danced; but they

Outdid the sparkling waves in glee;

Apoet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company;

I gazed-and gazed-but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:



For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.



Thank u sooooooo much!! :]

Another metaphor question??
Take a look at this verse:



"Fluttering and dancing in the breeze."



Dafodils don't flutter like butterflies, do they? and they don't really dance, can they? ;) See how the dafodils are compared to butterflies, and perhaps, ballet dancers.



Look at this verse, too:



"They stretched in never-ending line"



Can daffodils stretch?



"Tossing their heads in sprightly dance."



There's personification here, in the "tossing their heads phrase" and again another reference to "dance" which flowers, as we all know, don't do.



Now you read the next stanza and see what you can come up with. I'm sure you'll find some "suspicious" in there!



:)
Reply:metaphors-



-When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils



-that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;



good luck! hope i helped :)


No comments:

Post a Comment