Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I need info about planting bulbs in an area that gets morning sun?

I'm attempting to help my friend plant a flower garden. She wants all bulbs planted this spring in front of her house. She gets morning sun on that area, but around noon it gets shady. I need to know everything! What do I need to do to prepare the earth for planting? They are crocus', tulips and daffodils. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.

I need info about planting bulbs in an area that gets morning sun?
First off, planting them now will probably result in blooms NEXT year. You can place them in the fridge for a couple of weeks to "winter" and fool them if she wants blooms this year. Planting bulbs is easy, simply dig a shallow hole and plant the bulb (in a Tennessee climate) no more than 1 inch below the surface. Other than that they should do fine.
Reply:They should all do well in morning sun. When I plant a new bed I work up the soil well and instead of planting them singly I dig the depth of the whole plot at the same time..i.e. 3'x5' or whatever your plan is. Each pkg of bulbs will have the planting depth. Work a fair amount of bone meal into the soil in the bed.....it's a slow releasing plant food. Then set the bulbs in at the correct depth and cover with soil....daffodil and tulips will be deeper. I would plant the crocus in the front of the bed since they are considerably shorter. They won't be planted as deep either. I hope this helps. You can get more info if you type 'planting bulbs' in your search window....there should be lots of sites out there....good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment